Wednesday 30 July 2014

Corners of the Capital: Greenwich

If, like me, your London flat leaves you with little money left to buy a glass of wine then, like me, you're probably not even considering sipping wine on holiday in the glorious sunshine the rest of the world has to offer. Not even a cheeky weekend away in Benidorm, or failing that, the Isle of Wight. Well, if you're like me, we're just going to have to make do with the ol' capital city. And why should we complain? Thousands upon thousands of people holiday here all year round. So quit ya' complaining and make the most of it. Here are some of my fab little places to get that holiday feel without even stepping near an airport...

You gotta do it alfresco! I'm talking getting down and dirty outdoors; and by down I mean sitting down and by dirty I mean ordering some of the dirtiest cocktails you can find! Dining outdoors is the absolute perf way to feel like you're in another corner of the world (weather permitting, dining outside in the cold will definitely feel like England), and there are some great places in London to salvage some of those (Grease voice) summer nights.



   Greenwich is a lovely little corner, tucked out the way of central London. It has so many restaurants, like I've been living there for two years and still haven't tried most of them, amount of restaurants. Because it's just out of reach from the central buzz, you'll find it feels slightly different, a new place almost, like you're on holiday!? I took myself and a hometown pal to try out some of this alfresco business. Right by the Greenwich pier is a small selection of restaurants with rooftop dining areas. Perfecto! We decided, after dismissing the always busy Nandos, to take a much cooler step towards Zizzi's. Who doesn't want to eat Italian food on the river? You'll even be swiping away at the odd wasp. It really hit all the key holiday factors.

    Honestly they could've brought me any food and I would've been happy to sit there and gush over the backdrop, but luckily the food was pretty bloody special too! We got a little bit carried away ordering starters, once I spy calamari on the menu there's little thinking about anything else. We ordered and split the antipasti starter; which was olives, mozzarella, roasted tomatoes and proscuitto ham as well as the calamari, obvs. 10/10 holiday style eating, would recommend. The main was pretty amazing too, but for me no nothing compares to my bit of squid. The delicious view, however, gave it a good run for it's money...



Failing wanting to pay for a full on meal out (It's not something my bank account will often let me do, I must admit) Greenwich's space by the Thames offers plenty of areas to sit and chill. Why not buy or make a sarni and picnic it up? It's a little more British feeling but everyone loves a British stay-cation too. 
And why should you take my advice and enjoy a lovely evening, eating good food outside in the sunshine? Because I said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment